Advancements in New Transportation Technology
It has been suggested that advancements in technology have led to the need for a new paradigm for transportation. In consideration of our existing transportation and logistics infrastructure:
1) Evaluate the current transportation system and the effect on transportation modes and infrastructure requirements
2) Create a plan for a new infrastructure in light of recent advances in technology
3) Summarize your plan as a viable solution for transportation sustainability.
Instructor Notes below:
How to write a paper/paragraph/sentence:
The introductory paragraph of your paper:
- Begins with a topic sentence that introduces a general theme.
- Follows the topic sentence with sentences that narrow the focus of the theme, so that it is less general.
- Introduces the author of the text you are writing about.
- Introduces the title of that text.
- Narrows the discussion of the topic by identifying an issue or problem.
- Finishes by making a debatable claim a thesis statement, which is defined as a debatable point/claim. Always locate the thesis statement as the final sentence of the introductory paragraph, for students will be graded on this.
Body of your paper paragraphs:
- Begin with topic sentences that clearly relate to the topic, or issue, or problem that was identified in the introductory paragraph.
- Use sentences that elaborate on the issue or problem discussed in the introductory paragraph, and also demonstrate a clear connection to the thesis statement.
- Write a sentence or sentences that make a claim about the topic, issue, and problem.
- Use (borrow) a quote from the text you are analyzing that supports your claim.
- Add your interpretation of that quote, which explains how you arrived at your conclusion, and also demonstrates a clear connection to the thesis statement.
- Begin with a topic sentence that clearly relates to the topic, or issue, or problem, that was identified in the introductory paragraph.
- Compose sentences that make connections with, or revisit, points from your introductory paragraph and your paper’s body paragraphs. These points now serve to close your argument.
- Compose a synthesis of these points that clearly demonstrates the focus of your thesis statement.
- Add a final comment, or intellectual conclusion of sorts that points out the larger significance of your argument.
Advancements in New Transportation Technology
The transportation sector is critical for the social and economic development of any country and thus, should be efficient. An efficient transportation sector plays a significant role in cost reduction in terms of money and time. It improves livelihood through the reduction of cost in nearly all transactions. However, the country continues to experience a challenge emanating from the current inefficient transportation system, which to a significant extent deters socio-economic development (Winston, 2013). As such, there is a need for a new and efficient transportation paradigm. The advancement and emergence of new technologies promise development towards an efficient transportation system. This essay evaluates the current transportation system and its impact on the transportation modes in relation to the infrastructure requirements. The analysis shows that technological advancement and integration in the system is critical for the enhancement of its efficiency and creates a plan for a new infrastructure and transportation paradigm in view of the advancement in technology.
The current transportation systems seem inefficient and poses different challenges that limit social and economic development. Even though the government has consistently focused on the improvement of the system, political forces and other limitations posed by the different transport agencies continue to contribute to its inefficiency. The limitations and inefficiency make it difficult for the implementation of efficient improvements in the sector. These limitations are caused by in poor policies. The policies influence the different modes of transport negatively causing the development of the inefficient pricing, delays, suboptimal pricing, budget deficits, inflated production costs, and excessive waste of time and money by firms and members of the society (Winston, 2013). Further, the current systems constantly causes excessive government expenditures and thus the need for a new transportation and infrastructural plan (Winston, 2010).
Technological advancement can be applied for the development of a new and efficient transportation plan. The influence of the advancement on the development of the transport sector is of critical importance. Emerging transportation technologies focus on the improvement of the efficiency of the current transportation system and impact greatly on the transportation modes and infrastructure requirements. The integration of new technologies in the system will involve the evaluation of the transportation modes and the improvement of their efficiency through the emerging technologies. According to Winston (2010), the different modes of transport, mainly the railway and road, require improvement. For instance, the government should integrate technologies to enhance railway capacity. This can be achieved through a close monitoring of rail traffic through robust timetables, efficient infrastructural planning and maintenance, and the integration of planning algorithms for the enhancement of integrated paratransit service and fixed-route transport for improved transportation services. Further, the road mode of transport can be improved through the minimization of traffic by integrating traffic modelling and engineering technologies (Linkoping University, 2016). Additionally, there is a need to efficiently implement technologies that manage transit operations, offer real-time transit arrival information, electronic maps, and on-board vehicle performance monitors among others. The achievement of success in the improvement starts with effective policy development and implementation.
In conclusion, the current
transportation system is inefficient in tackling the current transportation
demands. Its ineffectiveness stems from the inability of the different
transportation modes to meet the infrastructure requirements in accordance with
the emerging transportation and socio-economic demands. The need for a new
paradigm for transportation is critical for the development of the sector and for
socio-economic advancement. The technological advancement experienced in the
recent past promises an efficient way of handling the concerns and challenges
presented by the current system. The integration of technologies in the
different modes of transport will guarantee an improvement in the efficiency of
the system. Using technologies that monitor and evaluate railway capacity,
create robust timetables, and reduce traffic among others that improve the rail
and road transport modes will boost efficiency. However, efficient policies
such as the privatization and deregulation of the transportation system are
Linkoping University. (2016). Traffic Systems – Current Research. Retrieved March 24, 2016, from http://kts.itn.liu.se/trafiksystem/forskning?l=en
Winston, C. (2010). Last exit : privatization and deregulation of the U.S. transportation system. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press.
Winston, C. (2013). On the Performance of the U.S. Transportation System: Caution Ahead. Journal of Economic Literature.