Autobiography, Memoir or Biography Book Review
- Select an autobiography, memoir or biography. (See recommended reading list)
- Respond to the questions below as you reflect on the book (using 200 words or LESS per question).
1 – BOOK SELECTION
- I prefer that you select a book from the list provided. But you are welcome to locate a book yourself.
- All self-selected books MUST be pre-approved by me.
IF you decide to select your own book, the book you select must meet the following criteria:
- Self-selected books MUST be pre-approved by me.
- Related to career or life-path development, choice or journey.
- This assignment is about gaining insight about career decisions, persevering, surviving set backs on your
journey and professional growth. If your book has a social or personal issue as a theme, your focus in
your reflection questions should still be on the career/life journey of that individual.
2 – REFLECTION QUESTIONS
Include your name, title of the book, author, and date published at the top of your paper.
Respond to the questions below, reflecting on what you gained from reading the book that you selected.
Be sure to follow indicated word limits for each question.
- What did you learn about the development of a career? What does it take? What can you take from that
and use in your own career path/life journey? Share some insight about the career development process
(aka, building a career) that you learned from reading this person’s story.
- You can talk about things like: Making career decisions, learning important things about
yourself, learning about career fields, understanding obstacles (personal, social, skills, politics in
the field), etc.
- Share some things that this person did, experienced, survived, pushed themselves to do, or
otherwise discovered about her/himself that you gained insight from reading about.
- (MUST be 200-250 words.)
- What are two more things (pieces of insight) that you learned from reading this book that you haven’t
discussed in the first two questions? (MUST be 200-250 words.)
- What impact, if any, did the book have on you? (MUST be 100-150 words.)
(The list below is just some suggestions.)
- Did it inspire you?
- Did it frustrate you at times?
- Was it uplifting or discouraging? (If so, talk about that.)
- Did reading this book impact your interest in pursuing a particular career?
- What about this person’s story resonated with you in relation to your own career path?
- Would you recommend the book? How many stars would you give it on Amazon and why?
(MUST be 50-100 words.)