Using one to two sentences answer the following questions.
- What is the title? – Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring, 1716
- Who is the composer? – Johann Sebastian Bach
- When and where was it written?
- Who is performing the work? The RFCM Symphony Orchestra
- What genre is it?
- What is it about?
- What is the style of the music?
- How does the work use timbre, texture, pitch, rhythm, dynamics and form?
Contextualize it. This is your contextual listening.
- What seems relevant from the composer’s life?
- From the occasion of the songwriting or premier performance?
- From the time period and culture in which it was written?
- From the perspective of the history of music?
- What ideas do you think were motivating the composer?
- What is the primary theme?
- How is this theme presented in the composition or performance?
- How are you connecting personally with the piece?
- Do you like it?
- In what ways is it powerful or remarkable?