You are required to complete a critique of two existing programs this term, due in Weeks 6 & 8. (Menon & A, 2016)Although it is preferred that you identify a program from the published research literature (i.e., one which has been subjected to systematic evaluation), you may choose a program that is less well researched and available from other sources (e.g., published programs, agency websites engaged in community intervention). The latter programs, however, should be subjected to the same level of analysis with regard to key program components.
The Program Critique involves review and critical analysis of a specific program with regard to four main components of the conceptual framework of community psychology:
- The issues or problems addressed
- The values reflected in the program approach and methods
- The conceptual foundation of the program
- The action and research tools (i.e., the “science of CP”)
Structure of the Critique
I. Brief Program Description
Describe program goals & objectives, conceptual/theoretical model, target population, staff, context/location, program content, intervention methods, research methods, program outcomes
II. Program Analysis
- What specific issues or problems were addressed?
- What values were reflected in the program, either explicitly stated by the researchers/interventionists or implicit in the program approach?
- What was the conceptual or theoretical foundation (paradigm) of the program?
- What action (intervention) tools were used? What research tools were used?
Be sure to focus your analysis on:
- The extent to which the program reflects a holistic transformative ecological model vs. an individually-oriented ameliorative approach
- The extent to which the values base of the program addresses personal, relational, and collective well-being.
- The extent to which the conceptual model (paradigm) is reflected in the program focus and methods.
- Whether the tools for action and research were appropriate for achieving the goals of the program.
- The extent to which key stakeholders participated in the process of program development, implementation, and evaluation.
III. Suggestions for Program Improvement
Provide suggestions for program improvement based on your critical analysis.
The Critique content should not exceed 4 pages double spaced. You must also include a cover page and references. References can be from a variety of sources but must also include some peer-reviewed journals from within the last 5 years. The document must be in APA format.